After a crazy week, there has been a shake-up in the weekly MLB Power Rankings. Despite a lot of movement, the top five remain the same with the Atlanta Braves ahead of the Baltimore Orioles, Los Angeles Dodgers, Texas Rangers, and Tampa Bay Rays, who got the worst news of the week that top starter Shane McLanahan will be out for the rest of the season with an injury.
Who jumps into the top 10 of this week’s MLB power rankings?
The Philadelphia Phillies, Seattle Mariners, and Chicago Cubs have jumped into the top 10 after a strong last seven days. Philadelphia got a no-hitter from Michael Lorenzen last Wednesday in a 7-0 win over the Washington Nationals in just his second start since the trade deadline.
The middle third sees the San Francisco Giants dropping out of the top 10 and the San Diego Padres falling as well after dropping the final game of their four-game series last Monday with the Dodgers, then dropping two games to the Mariners in a two-game set that saw them score just one run. Feels like time is running out on them in 2023.
The bottom third has the fast-fading Los Angeles Angels, along with the New York Mets who seem to be hitting a new rock bottom on a weekly basis this season.
Here is the complete list for this week as we hit the middle of August.
- Atlanta Braves (last week 1)
- Baltimore Orioles (last week 2)
- Los Angeles Dodgers (last week 3)
- Texas Rangers (last week 4)
- Tampa Bay Rays (last week 5)
- Houston Astros (last week 7)
- Philadelphia Phillies (last week 11)
- Seattle Mariners (last week 16)
- Chicago Cubs (last week 14)
- Milwaukee Brewers (last week 8)
- Toronto Blue Jays (last week 9)
- San Francisco Giants (last week 6)
- Minnesota Twins (last week 15)
- Cincinnati Reds (last week 12)
- Miami Marlins (last week 13)
- Boston Red Sox (last week 18)
- New York Yankees (last week 17)
- San Diego Padres (last week 10)
- Arizona Diamondbacks (last week 19)
- Cleveland Guardians (last week 20)
- Los Angeles Angels (last week 21)
- Pittsburgh Pirates (last week 22)
- Detroit Tigers (last week 25)
- New York Mets (last week 23)
- St. Louis Cardinals (last week 23)
- Chicago White Sox (last week 26)
- Washington Nationals (last week 27)
- Colorado Rockies (last week 29)
- Kansas City Royals (last week 28)
- Oakland Athletics (last week 30)
This week has had the most movement in the power rankings in a long time and for all the teams contending for a postseason playoff berth, time is quickly running out.